1/4 Photos of Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Shallots and Fresh Garden Thyme
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
This recipe has such an amazing flavour. I browned the sprouts in my huge stainless steel skillet and that made them taste almost nutty. I didn't want to heat up my kitchen, so fired up the bbq. and kept it on low. You can also put these in the oven if you don't want to be adventureous with the bbq. You will have to test the sprouts to make sure they don't get mushy. I took mine off when they were just fork tender and let them sit in the house on my stove top with the lid on the skillet and they finished cooking on their own. You might also want to add a dolop of sour cream on these, or a slash of balsamic vinegar just before you serve them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat your oven to 350'F. Or, use your bbq. Either will work.
- 2In a large oven/bbq. proof skillet warm your olive oil over medium heat.
- 3Clean your brussels sprouts and prepare your shallots. I cut the ends off the sprouts and removed the papery coating from the shallots. Cut the shallots into large pieces.
- 4Put the brussels sprouts into the warmed oil and saute until you get dark spots on the outer part of the sprouts. Should take about 6 mintues.
- 5Add the chopped shallots and cook for about 2 more minutes until the shallots have the same dark markings on them as the sprouts.
- 6Add in the broth. In any case, the broth should reach 1/2 way up the side of the vegetables. So judge accordingly.
- 7Stir in the thyme, salt and pepper. I picked my thyme out of the garden just before I added it, that gave it an amazing flavour.
- 8Bring the broth up to a good simmer and transfer it to the oven or bbq. It should take about 20 minutes to cook the sprouts until they are fork tender.
- 9Remove from the oven/bbq. after done and put the lid on and let the pot sit. The sprouts will cook a little more. If you don't want to cover them, just let them sit for a few minutes.
- 10Transfer to a nice dish and serve with the sour cream or balsamic vinegar if using.
- 11Bon Appetit.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Shallots and Fresh Garden Thyme
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.6
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 298.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: