Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Taken from goodhousekeeping magazine, I'm always looking for ways to use other grains like barley. This is a delicious, hearty meal!
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 carrot, large, finely chopped
- 1 onion, small, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In large bowl, stir together barley and broth. Cover with vented plastic wrap, microwave on high 20-25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil on med-high. Add chicken; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Cook 4 minutes or until golden, stirring once. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to bowl.
- To skillet, add carrot, onion, and thyme. Cook 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add garlic to skillet, cook 30 seconds, stirring, then add mushrooms and water, scraping up browned bits. Cook 2 minutes; remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken and barley; transfer to shallow 3 qt baking dish.
- Toss broccoli with 1/8 tsp salt and remaining oil; arrange on top of barley mixture.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until broccoli is tender.