Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The vegetables get so nutty and caramelized and the lemony vinegarette makes it fresh and delicious. It is great hot, warm, or even cold. Great tossed with a hearty green like spinach, arugula or watercress.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash veggies and **DRY THOUROUGHLY**. You want them to be bone dry, or they will not caramelize. They will steam.
- Slice broccoli stems into 1/4 inch thick rounds, cut florets in bite sized pieces. I like to have as many flat sides as possible so they get as caramelized as can be. Remove the core end of the brussels sprouts and slice them in half.
- Place veggies in a single layer on a parchment lined sheet tray with sides. Toss with 2 T of the olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how crisp you like them. Stir halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the remaining 2 T oil, honey, lemon juice and zest, dijon, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with the veggies and cheese if using. Serve immediately or allow to come to room temperature.
I varied the proportion of brussel-to-broccoli based on what I had around, and added bacon. This was easy to make and was a great twist on the oil-salt-pepper simple roasted sprouts. The sauce complements the vegetables well, and my kids liked it.