Recipe by beach bum in the Philippines
Here is a great Italian appetizer recipe that we served at the catering company many times--a delightful taste of mussels, garlic, and cheese in a crusty topping. It's easy to make and a great crowd pleaser--try it at your next party!
Top Review by robyn win
keep 'em coming beach bum...made this for a BBQ...used panko crumbs cos that's all I had, prepared everything to the baking stage and finished the dish off once I arrived at the party. All devoured, every single mussel gone, they must have enjoyed them 'cos no one was saying anything. Easy, tasty and practical ingredients. I'll certainly be making this again Waiting for the next seafood recipe you submit with bated breath.
- 2 lbs medium mussels, scrubbed well
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare the scrubbed mussels for cooking by checking to make sure that none of the shells are open (discard the open ones).
- Place the mussels in a pan with 1/2 cup of water or dry white wine over medium high heat and cook stirring frequently just until the mussels begin to open. Remove and put into a bowl as the shells will continue to open.
- When all of the mussels are removed, strain the liquid through a sieve or cheesecloth and reserve the liquid. You should have a 1/4 cup of the liquid. Now remove the mussels from their shells reserving half of the shells. Place the halved shell on a baking sheet and place a mussel in each one.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic, parsley, oregano, grated cheese, and breadcrumbs. Now sprinkle the mixture over the mussels in a thin layer. Now drizzle the olive oil and a little of the reserved liquid over the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake the mussels for about 10 minutes or until the tops of the breadcrumbs are brown and crisp (careful not to burn the breadcrumbs).
- Serve right away and enjoy.