I'm a big fan of bone marrow in the winter. Combined with the turnip it gives you that comforting-feel-good warm feeling, just perfect to get through a cold grey winter day.
- Put the marrows, the chopped leek & carrots, garlic and bailiff in a pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Skim te water from any foam.
- After half an hour, get the marrows out of the stock and put them in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Cook until marrow is soft and has begun to separate from the bone. (Stop before marrow begins to drizzle out!).
- Meanwhile peal turnips and cut them into thin slices. Put Butter in a big pan and add the slices of turnips. Make sure all the slices touch the bottom of the pan!
- Fry the turnips golden brown and add 2 pinches of sugar and salt. The sugar will caramelize the turnips quite fast. Don't let them burn.
- Chop Parsley.
- Serve 3 -4 marrows with turnips on a plate. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with crusty salt and freshly ground black pepper and 2 slices of toast on the side.