Here is an easy basic recipe that you can tweak to your tastes. If you don't have wine, use chicken broth. Don't use a cooking wine!! If you want to use wine but don't know any good ones, talk to someone working at the wine department of your local grocery. They should be able to recommend a good tasting, reasonably priced (under $10) bottle. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you prefer: just adjust the cooking time. If you have time, let the chicken breasts marinade for at least an hour. I usually throw this together in the morning before I go to work, then bake it that evening. For a complete one pot meal, you can add a couple of potatoes to the baking dish with the chicken before you put it in the oven. Then all that's left is maybe another veggie :)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 fresh garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 chicken breast halves, bone-in with skin
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In the baking dish you are going to use, prepare the sauce/marinade by combining all of the ingredients.
- NOTE: you can also use a good poultry seasoning that isn't completely ground in place of the rosemary, sage and marjoram since these are usually in this mix. If you use a poultry seasoning, use 1& 1/2 teaspoons.
- Poke the chicken breasts several times to allow the seasoning to enter the meat through the skin.
- Put the chicken breasts in sauce, and turn several times to coat thoroughly.
- Place skin side down (breast down) in a shallow baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake the breasts for 15 minutes, and baste the chicken regularly during this time the pan drippings.
- Remove the foil, flip to breast/skin side up. Continue baking another 20 - 30 minutes OR until the chicken juices run clear. This will help crisp up the skin.
- Serve the chicken some of the pan juices as a sauce.
Just made this for dinner - it is absolutely delicious!!! Followed the recipe to the "t" - my son put some of the sauce on his mashed potatoes as well. He told me to put it in the "keeper" file. Weekend flavor on a weeknight schedule!
This is a fast and easy recipe with great flavour. I used bone in chicken breast. the potatoes were amazing. It's a must repeat recipe.
Wonderful flavour and so easy, a definite make again. The dipping sauce was excellent ! Saving the remainder for leftovers. I give this recipe 10 stars !