1/2 Photos of Roasted Bell Peppers
1 hr 30 mins
I made these a few years ago and they were a hit. Great on crackers with cheese or on sandwiches...anyway you want to eat them. You will need a wide-mouth jar to store them such as an old Mason jar. The jar size is determined by how many peppers you actually use. I don't measure anything when making these so I just gave measurements for the purpose of this recipe. You can adjust to your own liking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Turn on the broiler in the oven. (For those of you in the UK, set the grill to highest setting) Put one shelf at the lowest level and the other shelf at the highest level.
- 2Cut off the top of the garlic bulb and discard. Put the bulb in a small ramekin, drizzle the 2 teaspoons olive oil over the top, and cover with foil. Place on the bottom shelf of the oven. Set the timer for 45 minutes.
- 3In the meantime, slice off the tops of the peppers, slice in half lengthwise and in half, lengthwise again, so that you have four long pieces of pepper. Lay flesh side down on a baking sheet.
- 4Place under the broiler/grill until the skins have turned bubbly and black, about 20-30 minutes. The blacker the skin is, the easier it will be to peel them.
- 5Remove the peppers to a brown paper bag(lunchbag type) or to a bowl covered with cling film, to steam for about 10 minutes.
- 6Check on the garlic. It should be soft enough for you to sqeeze the pulp out. If not, return to oven for another 5-10 minutes. Squeeze the pulp out into a medium bowl and set aside.
- 7Remove the peppers from the brown bag or bowl to a cutting board. Carefully peel the blackened skin from the peppers and discard.
- 8Put the peppers, basil, oregano and salt (and pine nuts, if using) into the bowl with the garlic. Using your fingers, gently mix together until well combined, adding more seasonings to suit your taste. Transfer mixture to jar.
- 9Pour olive oil over peppers until covered. Place lid on jar and leave to sit about 1-2 hours. Stir peppers and store in fridge for up to 3 weeks. If oil solidifies, remove from fridge 30 minutes prior to consuming.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Bell Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (1111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.3
- Calories from Fat 540
- Total Fat 60.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 604.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 5.7 g