1/1 Photo of Roasted Beets With Toasted Pine Nuts and Arugula
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 20 mins
From Cook's Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb medium beet, tops and bottoms trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 1/2 quarts loosely packed arugula, stems trimmed (about 5 ounces)
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss together the beets, cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl. Wrap each beet separately in aluminum foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook the beets until soft and easily pierced with a paring knife or skewer, about 1 hour. Once the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them by rubbing them with a paper towel—the skin should slide right off. Cut each beet into 6 or 8 wedges.
- 2Toast the pine nuts in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until light golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a small bowl and set aside.
- 3Process the remaining olive oil, sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, mustard, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a blender until fully emulsified, 20 to 30 seconds. Stir in shallot and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Toss the beets with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette in a medium bowl.
- 4Toss the arugula with the remaining vinaigrette in a medium bowl. Divide the arugula equally among chilled salad plates and top with the beets. Sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Beets With Toasted Pine Nuts and Arugula
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.7
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 138.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar