Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A delicious and really pretty side dish/salad adapted from a 1992 Gourmet. You can used horseradish from the jar (just drain any watery liquid) but if you can get the fresh root, do try it--the flavor is wonderful.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beets
- 2⁄3 cup creme fraiche or 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh horseradish, peeled and finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 2 -3 cups arugula (rocket)
- Cut the greens from the beets, leaving about 1 inch of the stems attached. S.
- crub the beets, wrap them tightly in 2 foil packages, and roast them on a baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 350°F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until they are tender.
- Unwrap the beets carefully, discarding any liquid that may have accumulated in the foil, and let them cool until they can be handled.
- Peel and halve the beets and cut them into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a small bowl stir together the crème fraîche, the horseradish to taste, the zest, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet, cook the beets with salt and pepper to taste in the butter over moderately high heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are hot.
- Portion out the arugula on six plates and place the beets atop the greens.
- Top the beets with the horseradish cream and sprinkle the cream with the chives and salt and pepper to taste.
I got a big bag of beets for $2, so am finding new ways of using them. This made a nice addition to my Christmas Eve table. The sauce is what made the dish - I used creme fraiche. I might add a squeeze of lemon to the beets next time. Also, I think this might make more servings than shown. I had three generous servings from 12 ozs. of roasted beets.