Roasted Beets With Horseradish Cream
- Cut the greens from the beets, leaving about 1 inch of the stems attached. S.
- crub the beets, wrap them tightly in 2 foil packages, and roast them on a baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 350°F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until they are tender.
- Unwrap the beets carefully, discarding any liquid that may have accumulated in the foil, and let them cool until they can be handled.
- Peel and halve the beets and cut them into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a small bowl stir together the crème fraîche, the horseradish to taste, the zest, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet, cook the beets with salt and pepper to taste in the butter over moderately high heat, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are hot.
- Portion out the arugula on six plates and place the beets atop the greens.
- Top the beets with the horseradish cream and sprinkle the cream with the chives and salt and pepper to taste.