Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an amazing recipe for fresh beets, if you don't have any fresh beets you can substitute two 15-ounce cans drained small whole beets, halved or if they are large then quarter them, but I have to say that fresh beets are better! --- for the fresh beets you can boil them or I prefer to roast them in the oven in foil in a 400°F oven for about 30 minutes or until just fork-tender --- this is just as delicious cold as it is served hot! --- prep time does not include roasting the beets and cooking the onions.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper (lots of black pepper!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb yellow sweet onion (quartered lengthwise then cut into about 1-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 15 whole fresh small beets, peeled (roasted or boiled, or use as many beets as you wish)
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese (or to taste)
- toasted walnuts (optional)
- Quarter the beets if they are large, if they are small then just cut in half.
- In a large bowl whisk together cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, black pepper and salt.
- In a slow steady stream whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil whisking continuously until well combined.
- In a large skillet cook the sweet onions in about 3-4 tablespoons olive oil with 1-2 teaspoons sugar until golden brown (about 15-18 minutes) season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked beets, browned onions and feta cheese; to the dressing in the bowl; stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts if desired.
If you like beets...this recipe will rock you! I did add one garlic. Did not have the walnuts but would consider putting them on next time! Thanks Kitten for another winner!!!
We loved this way to prepare roasted beets! I used really good cider vinegar from Williams-Sonoma given to me as a gift and a nice Greek feta from the neighborhood deli. I'm putting this in my keeper file as I loved it! Thanks for posting!
Oh wow! This was an amazing summer side dish! I purchased a bunch of beets and organic feta at our local farmers market and this recipe was PERFECT! The only substitution i had to make was using rice vinegar in place of cider vinegar. The sweetness of the beets and carmelized onion paired perfectly with the salty feta. YUM!