Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is an amazing recipe for fresh beets, if you don't have any fresh beets you can substitute two 15-ounce cans drained small whole beets, halved or if they are large then quarter them, but I have to say that fresh beets are better! --- for the fresh beets you can boil them or I prefer to roast them in the oven in foil in a 400°F oven for about 30 minutes or until just fork-tender --- this is just as delicious cold as it is served hot! --- prep time does not include roasting the beets and cooking the onions.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- black pepper (lots of black pepper!)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb yellow sweet onion (quartered lengthwise then cut into about 1-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 15 whole fresh small beets, peeled (roasted or boiled, or use as many beets as you wish)
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese (or to taste)
- toasted walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter the beets if they are large, if they are small then just cut in half.
- In a large bowl whisk together cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, black pepper and salt.
- In a slow steady stream whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil whisking continuously until well combined.
- In a large skillet cook the sweet onions in about 3-4 tablespoons olive oil with 1-2 teaspoons sugar until golden brown (about 15-18 minutes) season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked beets, browned onions and feta cheese; to the dressing in the bowl; stir gently to combine.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts if desired.