Recipe by Abby Girl
I love fresh roasted beets. I can eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This dish can be prepared in advanced and warmed up in the oven...making last minute prep work a snap!
Top Review by ~Paula~
I went out to my garden and discovered some beets ready for picking...came in and prepared this for lunch! Very bright flavors come through with this exceptional glaze! Next time I may try it with a different herb other than rosemary. A dish that tastes as wonderful as it is beautiful to the eyes. Thank you for posting!
- 1 kg beet, washed and trimmed (7 medium)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped or 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wrap beets in foil in a single layer. Bake in 400 oven for 1 hour, or until tender.
- Cool beets slightly. Scrape off skins while beets are still warm. Cut into wedges. (can be made ahead of time to this point).
- Heat oil in large skillet on med high heat. Add beets and toss to coat with oil. Add vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Add rosemary and water. cook for 8 - 10 minutes, or until liquid evaporates and beets are well glazed. Season with salt and pepper. (can be made ahead of time to this point).
- Note: If made up in advance, heat the beets for 1/2 hour at 350.