Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Drumnwrite at allrecipes.com.
- 6 medium beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a bowl, toss the beets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large resealable plastic bag. Place the sweet potatoes and onion in the bag. Seal bag, and shake to coat vegetables with the oil mixture.
- Bake beets 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Mix sweet potato mixture with the beets on the baking sheet. Continue baking 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
My wife absolutely flipped for this recipe. I used pearl onions instead of a sweet onion and it worked well. I am planning on making this for Thanksgiving.
Just as everyone else, I enjoyed this recipe. The modifications I made were to skip the sugar and add dried rosemary. The rosemary lends a lovely savoriness to all the sweet veggies. Beautiful enough for company and easy enough for everyday.
I did not have any sweet potatoes on hand so I used butternut squash. I used 3 cloves of fresh garlic instead of garlic powder and I also threw in a 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. I loved this dish. It is appealing to the eye and tastes great.