Recipe by SueVM
Beetroot (US Beets) is not one of my DH's favorite veggie. In our local newspaper was a recipe that I just had to try as I love beetroot but don't get to eat them very often unless I go to a restaurant. If you like beetroots then you will love this recipe.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Excellent beets and greens! I made this just as written. I used both the red wine vinegar and a little butter. I served them side by side on a platter. I got an urge to sprinkle some crumbled feta cheese over top. That was fabulous! Thanx for a delicious way to prepare both the beetroot and the greens! YUM!
- 1 bunch beet with greens
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or knob of butter)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Wash beets thoroughly leaving the skins on and remove the greens.
- Rinse greens, removing any large stems and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan, and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. (If you want to peel the beets, it is easier to do so once they have been roasted).
- Cover and bake for 45 to 60 mins, or until a knife can slide easily through the largest beet.
- When the roasted beets are almost done, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and onions, and cook for a few minutes.
- Tear the beet greens into 2 to 3 inch pieces, and add them to the skillet.
- Cook and stir until greens are wilted and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve the greens as is, and the roasted beets sliced with either red-wine vinegar, or a knob of butter.