Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Beetroot (US Beets) is not one of my DH's favorite veggie. In our local newspaper was a recipe that I just had to try as I love beetroot but don't get to eat them very often unless I go to a restaurant. If you like beetroots then you will love this recipe.
- 1 bunch beet with greens
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or knob of butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Wash beets thoroughly leaving the skins on and remove the greens.
- Rinse greens, removing any large stems and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan, and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. (If you want to peel the beets, it is easier to do so once they have been roasted).
- Cover and bake for 45 to 60 mins, or until a knife can slide easily through the largest beet.
- When the roasted beets are almost done, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and onions, and cook for a few minutes.
- Tear the beet greens into 2 to 3 inch pieces, and add them to the skillet.
- Cook and stir until greens are wilted and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve the greens as is, and the roasted beets sliced with either red-wine vinegar, or a knob of butter.
Excellent beets and greens! I made this just as written. I used both the red wine vinegar and a little butter. I served them side by side on a platter. I got an urge to sprinkle some crumbled feta cheese over top. That was fabulous! Thanx for a delicious way to prepare both the beetroot and the greens! YUM!
I loved the combination. I used a combination of red and yellow beets that had been previously roasted. The greens were cooked and the greens and then mixed in the diced beets. The red wine vinegar was used instead of butter. This made a very eye catching dish.
First time I cooked beets and greens. I added sliced carrots to the roasting veggies. Pretty good. Thanks.