Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 beets (about 1 pound)
- 1 large onion, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups spinach, washed
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese or 1⁄2 cup gorgonzola
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- Lightly brush a roasting pan or cookie sheet with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place the beets and onion in the pan and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until the beets are tender.
- Add the walnuts to the roasting pan for the last 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the remaining 4 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil with the balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Peel the beets and onion, slice and add to the bowl with the toasted walnuts.
- Add the spinach and toss together.
- Transfer the salad to serving plates and sprinkle with the blue cheese.
Oh my! This is a fantastic salad! Made it exactly as written except I forgot to roast the onion with the beets. So used thin slices of uncooked red onion. It was still delicious. Will be making this often. Will roast the onion next time. Thank you, Dancer. Great recipe!!!!!!!!! Edited to add: Made this with the roasted onion....yum, yum, yum!!! Curt says it is the best salad he has ever eaten and I agree. Wish I could give this at least 10 stars.