Recipe by Just Call Me Martha
This came from LCBO's Food and Drink magazine (Winter 2005). It's bright and colourful and very good. You could substitute canned beets in a pinch, but the roasted beets have a better taste and texture.
- 2 lbs unpeeled beets
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 cups packed Baby Spinach
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup torn basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off beet stems and place beets in baking dish with water then season with the salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, then cool in pan.
- Peel beets and cut into halves or quarters, depending on size.
- In large skillet, heat oil and saute garlic for 1 minute.
- Add spinach and toss until the spinach wilts, then add beets and balsamic vinegar and mix, cooking until the beets are warm.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with goat cheese and torn basil leaves.
- This can be served warm as a side dish or at room temperature.