Recipe by Sharon123
Oh goodness, this is a super way to eat beets! Beets, roasted, diced with ginger, jalapeno, garlic, mint and cilantro. Throw in a little lime juice and mmmmm..mmmmm! Adapted from Chef2Chef!
Top Review by emkatc
An unexpected but delicious way to use beets! I didn't have any shallots so I used red onion, and threw in some extra jalapeno. Me and my husband loved this. Will be making again. Thanks!
- 4 medium beets
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons shallots, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, finely diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- To roast beets:.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Trim the tops off the beets and drizzle with the olive oil. Season the beets with salt and pepper, wrap them in aluminum foil individually and roast until tender, about 40-60 minutes(depending on how large they are). When cool enough to handle, peel the beets.
- While the beets are roasting, place the shallot, jalapeno, ginger, garlic, mint, cilantro, lime juice and 6 tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- When the beets are done, carefully remove the foil. Let cool, and then peel the beets by slipping the skins off with your fingers. Dice the beets and add salsa mixture, stirring to combine. Taste for seasoning.
- Great served with fish or eaten alone as a salad!