Recipe by P4
This is a terrific salad. Everything can be prepped ahead easily, then just putting everything together at the last minute. I always have this at Thanksgiving.
Top Review by Maito
What a delicious combination of flavors. I used less salt and oil and more vinegar. I also roasted the beets in the oven without the foil, rubbed with a little olive oil and did not do the marinating part (personal preference).
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 medium beets, trimmed and washed
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach leaves, de-stemmed and washed
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine the walnuts with the olive oil, salt and pepper, mixing well to coat the nuts.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 7-10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Wrap the beets individually in foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees until tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool for 20 minutes, then peel the beets by holding them under cold running water and rubbing off the skins.
- Cut into 1/2-inch wedges, and place in a large mixing bowl with the walnuts and onion.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients, taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Pour over the beets and toss well.
- Let sit at room temperature at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, arrange the spinach leaves in individual bowls or on a large platter.
- Arrange the beets on top and crumble the goat cheese over.