Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe originates from Ms. Paula H. Deen, a true-blue southern Steel Magnolia. Isn't she the absolute best? What a great recipe for a picnic or potluck!
- Spray a broiler pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Toss the beets with the garlic and 1 teaspoon olive oil and arrange in a single layer on the broiler pan.
- Broil on high for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, turning every 2 or 3 minutes until the edges of the beets start to brown.
- Remove the beets from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Toss the beets with the remaining ingredients and serve.
WOW this will go down as one of my favorites!! I just made 1/2 a batch to see if I would like it and then went back and made another 1/2 batch just because I about ate the whole thing the first time around. I already had boiled my beets earlier in the week, so I started by slicing them and adding the oil/vinegar mixture. I love roasted beets so I know this would only add to the flavor, so will for sure do that the next time I make this. All I had on hand was 'Seasoned Rice Vinegar' with roasted garlic but I thought this would help replace the first step of roasting the beets with the garlic. Delish!! Thanks for posting!!
This just didn't work for us I am sad to say. I love all the ingredients a lot but all together it wasn't good. Also I found it didn't look very appetizing. We did eat what was on our plates but I won't be making it again. And I usually like Paula Deen's recipes. But thanks anyways Mercy for sharing.
Beets, feta, olives - i was intrigued but uncertain how this flavour combination would come together - it was great! Now, I confess I made several alterations. I had to use boiled beets (I'd already made them before i found the recipe), and I unfortunately didn't have any dill. I also chose to limit the amount of cheese and cut the dressing WAAAAY back (to about 1-2 tbsp each oil and vinegar) - which made it a delicious AND lower-cal side dish.