Recipe by COOKGIRl
I cut this salad recipe out of a weekly local newspaper the other day and haven't had the chance to test it. I would like to try golden beets for the red beets. If you cannot find mache (lamb's lettuce), substitute butter lettuce or fresh mixed greens. Serve with crusty French bread!
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Yum! The dressing packs quite a punch, so I may dilute it with a bit of water next time. Make sure your pears are nice and ripe. I am a HUGE beet lover, so I knew we would like this salad. Thanks so much for posting!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 small red beets or 6 small golden beets, washed well, ends cut
- 2 Anjou pears, firm but ripe, cored, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 cups mache, washed and patted dry (or substitution)
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare dressing and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Individually wrap the beets in aluminum foil and roast for about 1 hour, or until tender when pricked with fork. Allow cooked beets to cool then cut into 1/4" slices.
- Gently toss the beets in a large salad bowl with the mache, red leaf lettuce, pears and feta. Garnish top with the toasted almonds.
- Serve dressing on side.
- NOTE: I guessed the yield.