I cut this salad recipe out of a weekly local newspaper the other day and haven't had the chance to test it. I would like to try golden beets for the red beets. If you cannot find mache (lamb's lettuce), substitute butter lettuce or fresh mixed greens. Serve with crusty French bread!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 small red beets or 6 small golden beets, washed well, ends cut
- 2 Anjou pears, firm but ripe, cored, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 cups mache, washed and patted dry (or substitution)
- 1 cup red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Prepare dressing and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Individually wrap the beets in aluminum foil and roast for about 1 hour, or until tender when pricked with fork. Allow cooked beets to cool then cut into 1/4" slices.
- Gently toss the beets in a large salad bowl with the mache, red leaf lettuce, pears and feta. Garnish top with the toasted almonds.
- Serve dressing on side.
- NOTE: I guessed the yield.