1/2 Photos of Roasted Beet Borscht Borsch
1 hr 30 mins
Charlotte J's Note:
I found this on the Food Network site and decided to give it a try. From Tyler Florence and Food 911, Episode: Tastes of Russia
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beet
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock, heated
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- sour cream, for garnish
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Scrub the beets and put them on a large piece of aluminum foil; season with salt and pepper, add 3 thyme sprigs, and drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 3Bake until the beets are tender, about 1 hour.
- 4Set aside.
- 5When the beets are cool enough to handle but still warm, slip off their skins, and chop them into large chunks.
- 6In a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- 7Put in the onion, carrots, garlic, and remaining 3 thyme sprigs and cook until softened and just starting to color, about 10 minutes.
- 8Add the chicken stock and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 9Remove the thyme sprigs.
- 10Put the chopped beets into a blender and add the cooked vegetables and most of the stock.
- 11Blend until smooth, add more stock if the puree is too thick.
- 12Add the vinegar and honey; season with salt and pepper.
- 13Blend again to incorporate flavors.
- 14Borscht can be served hot or cold.
- 15To make the garnish, grate the apple on the large holes of a box grater and mix in the dill.
- 16Serve in bowls, garnished with a big dollop of sour cream and topped with the apple and dill mixture.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Beet Borscht Borsch
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.6
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 417.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: