Adapted from a recipe by Andrew Carmellini. This is a festive salad that can be also be served over pasta. I simplified the recipe and changed some of the ingredients to make a milder tasting salad. The beets can be roasted and refrigerated for up to 3 days prior to serving. Use gloves during beet preparation to avoid staining your hands. Great for gatherings, The salad components can be prepared up to 3 hours in advance and combined before serving, and the salad keeps well at the table for buffet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350. Cut the tops off the beets and reserve for another use or discard. Rinse the beets and wrap each in aluminum foil. Place the beets on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour. Allow to cool and refrigerate in the foil for up to 3 days before use.
- 2Remove beets from the foil, cut off the stems and tail and slide off the peel. Cut the beets into a rough julienne = 1/8" x 1 1/2".
- 3Mince the garlic and rough chop the rosemary. Finely slice the onion. Toss the beets in a bowl with the onion, 1/2 of the garlic, the rosemary, the balsamic vinegar and 1 tbs olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste and put aside.
- 4Remove the top from the fennel bulb and put aside for another use or discard. Slice the bulb finely and place in a bowl with ice water for a moment to crisp then drain and spin in a salad spinner to dry.
- 5Place the fennel in a bowl and zest the lemon over the top. Add the juice of 1/2 the lemon and 1 tbs olive oil and toss together. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Slice the olives, Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet for 2 - 3 minutes until lightly browned.
- 7To serve, toss the beets lightly with the fennel. Top with the olives and pine nuts, and using a vegetable peeler, shave the Romano Cheese over the top and drizzle with remaining Olive Oil and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Beet and Fennel Salad With Black Olives & Pine Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.4
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 105.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese