Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Make and share this Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 6 medium beets, scrubbed (3 lbs.)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (scant 4 oz.) or 3⁄4 cup pecans (scant 4 oz.)
- 4 bunches fresh arugula
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped shallot (2 medium)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line baking sheet with parchment or foil. Pierce beets with a skewer or fork. Place on prepared baking sheet and roast until tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Set aside to cool slightly. Keep oven on.
- Spread nuts in small baking pan and bake until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool; chop coarsely if necessary. Trim, rinse and dry arugula, then tear into bite-size pieces.
- Make dressing: In medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, juice concentrate, shallots, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil. Spoon half of dressing (about 1/3 cup) into small jar or bowl and set aside.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut each one into 8 or 12 wedges. Add to dressing in bowl and toss well to coat. (If desired, marinate beets, covered, in the refrigerator up to 2 days.)
- To serve, in large salad bowl, toss arugula, marinated beets and reserved dressing. Sprinkle with toasted nuts and serve.
Fabulous salad that tastes like one of those $9 side salads you get out at a really fine restaurant. I used extra virgin olive oil instead of regular vegetable oil. I also sliced the peeled beets and coated with olive oil and roasted them to speed this up a bit, instead of roasting the whole, uncut beet. I arranged each salad separately on each person's separate salad plate and it had that "wow" look and taste!