1/4 Photos of Roasted Balsamic Garlic Asparagus Appetizer
After preparing AngelaTN's roasted asparagus for dinner recently, I just couldn’t get enough of them! I wanted to make them again, but the event I was going to was a non-heating kind of thing, so I decided I'd put together an adapted version that would work well chilled or room temperature, as an appetizer. Here's what I came up with, and it's delicious! I made them as part of an anti pasto tray. Prep time does not include chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs asparagus, medium to thick stems (not too thin)
- olive oil (or pan spray, but olive oil in mister preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste (I like tricolor peppercorns)
- 2 teaspoons butter (not margarine)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 3 pieces (amount of garlic to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Trim the asparagus: rinse the asparagus, cut about an inch off the ends, then use a vegetable peeler to take the outer layer off another inch of the remaining fibrous ends (easiest is to lay the spear on a flat surface then use peeler to gently take off the layer - careful, or you'll remove too much).
- 3Place the trimmed asparagus in a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet, then spray with an olive oil mister or drizzle evenly with olive oil (or spray with pan spray).
- 4Season with the sea salt and the freshly ground pepper.
- 5Place in oven and roast for 8 minutes (don't overcook).
- 6Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over very low heat melt the butter and extra virgin olive oil.
- 7Add the sliced garlic and simmer (again, over very low heat) for 5 minutes - careful not to burn.
- 8Remove from heat and add the soy sauce and balsamic.
- 9When asparagus is done, remove from the oven and place in a container which has an airtight cover.
- 10Place the garlic from the balsamic mixture on the asparagus; whisk the balsamic mixture well (I use a pigtail whisk) and pour it over the roasted asparagus.
- 11Cover tightly, shake, and place in refrigerator to chill (please note that the asparagus is still hot in the container, and that covering them and adding the sauce at this point will continue to steam them a bit for a few minutes).
- 12Chill for at least 4 hours before serving, the place attractively on serving platter.
- 13Goes well as part of an anti pasto course!
- 14Note: although I used these as an appetizer/snack, they could also work quite well as a side dish.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Balsamic Garlic Asparagus Appetizer
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.9
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 3.3 mg
- Sodium 400.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 6.5 g