Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the new cookbook The Chew Food Life Fun.Takes 30 minutes to cook and it's ready to eat!
- 4 small carrots, halved lengthwise
- 3 shallots, halved (or 1 large red onion, cut in wedges)
- 1 butternut squash, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb Brussels sprout, halved
- 4 -6 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils, rinsed (Daphne uses black lentils)
- 1⁄2 yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 lb arugula (or spinach)
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots, shallots, squash, Brussels sprouts, and garlic. Drizzle 2 tbls. of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Pour vegetables onto a sheet tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing once, halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lentils by putting them into a small saucepan and covering with water by 2 inches. Add the onion and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and discard the onion, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Once the veggies are finished roasting, remove the garlic. Peel and mash the garlic in a small bowl, combine with the remaining 4 tbls. of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and Dijon mustard, and whisk into a vinaigrette. Toss the lentils with the vinaigrette, fold in the arugula or spinach leaves, and then top with roasted vegetables to serve.