Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
A Mark Bittman recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, preferably homemade
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees. Combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan.
- Rinse asparagus and break off woody bottoms. Peel if thick. Lay stalks in a baking dish that will hold them in two or three layers. If the asparagus are thick, add a splash of water. Drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper; place in oven.
- Roast until the asparagus are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Test for doneness by piercing a spear with point of a sharp knife; it should slide in but meet a little resistance. (Up to this point, the recipe can be made as much as two hours before serving; just leave asparagus at room temperature.).
- Turn on broiler and place rack as close as possible to heating element. Top asparagus with cheese-crumb mixture and run under broiler to brown for 1-2 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Roasting asparagus is my favorite way to prepare this delicious veggie and the bread crumb/parmesan topping was a wonderful addition. DH really enjoyed this dish too and I will definitely be making it again. Made for What's on the Menu tag, October, 2014. : )
Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe gailanng, it was really quick and easy to make with terrific results . We really enjoyed the flavors from the breadcrumbs and freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, it really adds a nice element to the dish. The asparagus were perfectly cooked. Made for Whats on the Menu tag game.
Layering the asparagus spears as suggested and keeping a close eye on the time yielded perfectly bright green but cooked spears. I was able to then leave at room temp with a very loosely fitted steamer lid and finish the crumb topping under broiler 2 hours later. Woohoo- freed me up to socialize with my dinner guests and still created a positive impression when they saw the veggies.