Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an easy side dish that goes very well with ham. It's also nice for Easter. Cook the asparagus ahead of time, then serve at room temperature with the dressing - YUM!
- 3 lbs slender asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 500°.
- Trim ends of asparagus; toss with olive oil; arrange in a single layer on a jelly roll pan; sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until tender and browned, about 10 minutes, turning asparagus once (you can do the recipe up to this point and then finish it and serve at room temperature).
- To make the dressing: cook bacon until crisp; drain well; crumble into a small bowl; add cilantro and mix well.
- Whisk together shallots, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange asparagus on a platter; drizzle with dressing; sprinkle bacon mixture over the top.
This is so good! I pre-steamed the asparagus and made the vinaigrette the day before Easter. 10 minutes before dinner I put everything in a roasting pan and warmed it at 375 for 5 or so minutes. Everyone loved it! Even my niece and nephew!!! Thank You for sharing this wonderful recipe!
I made this asparagus dish last night as a side to a chicken recipe that I was making. DH and I thought it was delicious. It was very flavorful and I would definitely make this recipe again. I scaled down the ingredients to suit 1 lb of asparagus (thus, I cut in third the olive oil and salt that goes with the asparagus; and halved the dressing ingredients). It still came out perfect. I love shallots, cilantro, Dijon, and balsamic, so I knew this was the recipe for me. I didnt alter any of the ingredient list. Thanks for posting!
This was excellent. I used pre-cooked bacon to save time. I also added the bacon and the cilantro to the dressing ingredients and put it all in the blender, then poured over the asparagus. I only needed the 10 min to roast. We will have this often!!