Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Taken from "The Low-Carb Comfort Food Cookbook." "This easy, simple salad really lets the distinctive asparagus taste come through loud and clear. Pair with roasted poultry, grilled meats, baked fish, or just about any simply prepared entree. You could even put it, still warm, over a bowl of low-carb pasta."
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus (with thick stems)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Wash asparagus, and pat dry. Snap or cut woody stem ends, leaving only the tender portion. Gently peel the bottom third with a vegetabel peeler if necessary. Slice each spear on the diagonal into about three pieces.
- In a large bowl, combe the olive oil, salt and white pepper. Add the cut asparagus and toss to coat evenly. Set aside and allow asparagus to marinate in this mixture for about 8-10 minutes at room temperature.
- When marinated, transfer the asparagus to a nonstick, heavy-gauge metal baking sheet, spread out into a single layer, and roast for about 8 minutes, shaling several time during the roasting period to cook evenly and prevent sticking. When roasted, remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle lemon juice over the raosted asparagus and toss to coat. Divide the asparagus evenly among eight plates.
- Using a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler, slice thin curls of the Parmigiano Reggiano atop the asparagus.