Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Copyright 2001 by Lynne Rossetto Kasper - from http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/ You could cook the asparagus a day ahead, and make the salad hours before serving. Recipe doubles easily.
- 10 -12 slender asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed away
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs small potatoes (about 15 to 20 - like Yellow Finn, red skins, the red-skinned San Luis Valley or Desiree potatoes, o)
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, snipped into little pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Trim, wash, and dry the asparagus.
- Spread them on a piece of heavy-duty foil, or a shallow baking pan.
- Drizzle with the one tablespoon oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll around to coat.
- Roast about 10 minutes, or until barely tender when pierced with a knife. They should be quite firm.
- Remove from oven and cool; then cut into 1-1/2-inch lengths.
- Simmer the potatoes in water to cover in a 6-quart pot for 15 minutes, or until tender with a little firmness at the center.
- Peel and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Turn into a large bowl.
- Gently fold in the onion, 1/4 cup vinegar, salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons oil.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, gently fold in the asparagus.
- Taste for tartness (potatoes mute vinegar very quickly), and salt and pepper. Add more vinegar and seasonings if necessary.
- Fold in the herbs.
- Serve at room temperature.