Recipe by Kikimony
I have not tried this yet but it was passed to me and looks very good. Serve this with grilled chicken breasts or diagonally slice the grilled chicken into strips and arrange them atop the servings of pasta.
Top Review by CountryLady
Quite a nice flavour combination Stephanie. Since I was cooking for 2 people, I halved the recipe. Be careful re the pasta amount - 4 cups doesn't get divided by the computer! I would probably thicken the sauce next time.
- 12 ounces penne rigate (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 lb thin asparagus spear, diagonally cut into 2 inch long pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- fresh ground pepper, for garnish (optional)
- crumbled feta cheese, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cook Penne in salted boiling water until al dente; drain and return to pot.
- While the penne is cooking, combine the oil, pepper, and salt in a medium bowl; Add the asparagus and toss.
- Place the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet; Roast in the preheated oven, tossing or stirring the asparagus several times, until it is tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes: (If the asparagus is very thin, reduce the cooking time by several minutes and check often to prevent burning.).
- While the penne and asparagus are cooking, combine the chicken broth, butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat; Heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted.
- Add the asparagus and pine nuts to the pasta and toss.
- Gently toss in the chicken broth mixture over medium heat just until heated through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Toss in the chives just before serving.