Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a light and healthy salad that is perfect as a side salad, but also is elegant for a dinner party. But add some grilled chicken and it can become a main dish. Take advantage of fresh summer produce. You could always add fresh tomatoes or other favorites if you like.
- 1 lb asparagus, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces on an angle
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms (cut in half or quarters depending on the size more of less to taste)
- 1 small onion, cut in quarters and thin sliced
- 6 cups bibb lettuce (1 1/2 cups per person)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons stone ground mustard (dijon will work, but nearly as good)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 -2 teaspoon milk (used to thin out the dressing, use as much as you like)
- salt, to taste (go easy, the cheese is salty)
- pepper, to taste
- Dressing -- Make this ahead and refrigerate until ready to use. In a small bowl, add the yogurt, mustard and parmesan, salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until ready to use. If the dressing is too thick for you, add a little of the milk. I usually add about 1 teaspoon, but add more if you like the dressing a bit thinner. Make ahead, it is even better.
- Asparagus and Mushrooms -- When ready to make the salad, add the asparagus and mushrooms to a small bowl and mix with the olive oil, italian seasoning, pinch of salt and pepper. Toss well and add to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or not. The parchment paper makes for a quick clean up. Roast in a 425 degree oven, middle shelf for 7-10 minutes. You want the asparagus and mushrooms roasted and slightly tender, but not over done.
- Salad and Plate -- In a large bowl, add 1 tablespoon of the dressing and toss with the lettuce and onion. Plate about 1 1/2 cups of the lettuce per plate and top with the asparagus and mushrooms. Drizzle the creamy dressing over the salad and serve. ENJOY! This is a simple but very good salad.