Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
An excellent preparation of asparagus with the surprising addition of deep-fried capers, in less than ten minutes. Dish can be served as a warm side dish or room temperature salad/first course. From Rozanne Gold, a favorite cookbook author.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs medium-size asparagus, ends trimmed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup large capers, drained
- Preheat oven to 500°; place asparagus on baking sheet and drizzle with 1/2 T olive oil; roll asparagus around until it and pan are lightly coated; season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender-crisp and bright green, about 5-8 minutes and plate; meanwhile heat the remaining 2 T oil in a small skillet; deep fry the capers in the oil for 1 minute; transfer capers with a slotted spoon and sprinkle over the asparagus.
This was a great little recipe - simple, tasty and out of the ordinary - something a true foodie can appreciate. I pared this with salmon steaks for an evening with the wife while the kids were out - it was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend this recipe - it makes even the most inept cook appear better then you they truly are. All this being said, I'd be pleasantly surprised were this included in my meal at any of the many Zagat's top rated restaurants in my area. Thanks
I would have never thought to add capers to asparagus. What a great flavor combination. I'm always looking for different ways to perk up my vegetable dish and this certainly is a winner. Thanks so much for sharing, Sugarpea. You always have such great recipes.
it was ok but i like asparagus with lemon and garlic better. were the capers supposed to be crispy? mine never crisped. they just got oily and hot... maybe i did something wrong. like i said though, the flavor was ok.