Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
The mellow juiciness of fresh roasted bing cherries provide a velvety background for the orange accented asparagus.
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted
- 1 lb asparagus, approximately 1 bunch
- 1⁄4 cup triple sec
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup blood orange olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- whisk liquor, juice, oil and sugar to make marinade.
- wash and pit cherries.
- clean asparagus and trim ends if tough.
- toss marinade over cherries and asparagus.
- let sit for 10 mins or so.
- preheat grill basket on heat source.
- use med-low indirect heat.
- gently place asparagus and cherries in basket using slotted spoon.
- watch for flare-ups.
- Grill for 20 mins or so, gently turning. Move to cooler side of grill if cooking too fast. Cherries should sweat and soften wihthout losing shape.
- add personal touches like roasted hazelnuts or goat cheese.
- serve warm.
Our group loved it. We found the hazelnuts and goat cheese a needed addition to the sweet tartness of the cherries.
We did not find the tastes complementary, and found the dish too sweet.