Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
In my corner of the world, asparagus is in season and I always look forward to its arrival and recipes for cooking with it. Here's an asparagus salad with a simple vinaigrette in which I chose to roast both the asparagus and bell pepper. From Williams Sonoma as printed in our local newspaper.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs asparagus spears
- 3 medium red bell peppers, roasted and peeled
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- fresh chervil (my addition)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to BROIL.
- ROASTING THE BELL PEPPERS AND ASPARAGUS: Roast the whole bell peppers under the broiler for about 8 minutes. Turn over occasionally to broil evenly.
- Now add the asparagus spears. Continue to broil the peppers until the skin is black but not charred. Keep turning the asparagus spears to evenly broil. *Watch* broiling process carefully! (The asparagus spears will take about 8 minutes to broil, the bell peppers 15 minutes approximately.).
- Remove asparagus spears from oven and set aside. Remove bell peppers to a bowl and cover with a lid. Allow to "sweat" for 10-15 minutes or until the skin peels off easily.
- Once cool enough to handle, core bell peppers and remove skin, stems and any membrane.
- Cut bell peppers into long strips. Cut asparagus spears into 3" pieces.
- Arrange the asparagus spears and bell peppers on a serving platter.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette and spoon over the vegetables. (Vinaigrette can be prepared several hours in advance if you wish.).
- Garnish with the hard boiled egg slices and fresh chervil.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or can be served immediately.