Recipe by rillemily
The beets for executive chef Wolfgang Birk’s colorful salad come from nearby Arnold Farm. It is served at Gaylord National’s Old Hickory Steakhouse near Washington, D.C.
- 453.59 g mixed yellow and red baby beets
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 36.97 ml olive oil, divided use
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh marjoram
- 226.79 g goat cheese
- 226.79 g arugula, thoroughly washed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350◦ F. Toss whole beets together with olive oil, chopped garlic, thyme and bay leaf on a sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 1-1/2 hours. Let cool slightly.
- Peel and cut the beets into 1/2-inch dice. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, parsley, marjoram, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, marinate the goat cheese in 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Allow beets and goat cheese to rest at room temperature.
- When ready to serve, season arugula with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Top with beets and garnish with marinated goat cheese.