Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is delicious with vanilla ice cream. The flavor is intense, pure apricot. From Gourmet. An ice cream maker is necessary for this. The times do not include chilling or freezing.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs firm-ripe apricots (7 large)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- Put sugar, water, and dried apricots in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let stand until apricots are softened, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, roast whole fresh apricots in a 350 degree oven until soft, about 1 hour.
- Peel and pit when cool enough to handle.
- Puree dried apricot mixture, roasted apricots, lemon juice, and almond extract in a blender until smooth.
- Chill at least 2 hours until cold.
- The puree can be chilled up to 8 hours.
- Freeze in ice cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.
Delicious and perfect for apricot lovers! I made a few slight changes in the recipe such as skipping the dried apricots and used 1/2 vanilla bean in the sugar/water instead. I also added 1/3 cup sliced almonds to the sorbet mix after blending the rest of the ingredients together (skipping the almond extract). I served this with pound cake which I added some almond extract to -- wonderful desert! Thanks for sharing!