Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
This is without a doubt *the* most fabulous applesauce I have ever had! It's the only apple sauce my kids will eat, The flavor is incredible! So much richer in flavor than apples that have been steamed or simmered in water. I have actually used whatever apples I happen to have in hand. Even those that are looking tired and not so crisp any more. Great with any pork or chicken entree.
Top Review by Happy Harry #2
Made this last week at the same time as I made some applesauce in a crock pot. I used the same ingredients in both. I will tell you that they both tasted the same...which was terrific! This one is great when you have your oven in use, which I do frequently. So this will be my winter recipe, but, the crock pot when its hot outside.
- 3 gala apples, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cinnamon sticks, whole
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray baking dish w/ non-stick spray.
- Spread apples out in a casserole pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, sugar, salt and butter. Stirring occasionally.
- Bake until the apples are roasted and soft, about 30 minutes or longer.
- UPDATE: I roast until they are tender and begin to caramelize.
- Serve chunky or mash to desired consistency.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Yields 2 cups.