Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An interesting variation on baked or roasted apples. I have not made this yet but I am posting it for safekeeping, and to make when the weather is cooler. I found this in a July 2002 issue of the Australian 'Family Circle'. The cooking time below does not include the 10 minutes standing time recommended in step 6.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Combine the chopped figs, hazelnuts, orange zest and allspice.
- Using an apple corer, remove the apple cores.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and loosely press the fig mixture into the centre of the apples.
- Combine the sugar, butter and orange juice and drizzle it over the apples.
- Bake the apples for 25 minutes or until tender, then set aside for 10 minutes for the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Serve with the sauce spooned over the apples with cream or icecream.
Wow, super fancy looking dish. The brown sugar and butter made for this great sauce that covered the apples. I served this with vanilla bean ice cream and everyone loved it. A new fancy pants looking dish that takes hardly any work at all. Made and reviewed for 123 Hit Wonders Tag - Thanks! :)
I love this dish! If anything I wish I had a larger apple corer so I can stuff more off the fig mixture in there! I let it overflow on the top and bottom. The sauce coated the outside of the apple like candy! Another dish that is very easy to make but is sure to impress.
This was Heaven! Served with Oregon's Tillamook brand real vanilla ice cream. A delightful combination of flavors. Keep posting those good recipes! PS I used dried figs that are rolled in coconut!