Recipe by karenandmickeydorman
Looking for an alternative to baked sweet potatoes, I found this wonderful recipe in Southern Living magazine. It is a great side dish for pork or Thanksgiving dinner. The hint of orange really adds some zest(no pun intended) to these everyday ingredients. If you prefer your apples crisp rather than tender, you can bake them for a little less time.
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled (about 5 medium-size)
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut peeled sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Cut peeled apples into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Stir together melted butter, brown sugar, and grated orange rind in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag until blended. Add cubed sweet potatoes and sliced apples. Seal bag, and toss to coat.
- Place potato mixture in a single layer in a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined 15 x 10 inch jellyroll pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes or until potatoes and apples are tender and lightly browned.