1/1 Photo of Roasted Acorn Squash Soup With Rosemary and Garlic
My mom and I had made stuffed Acorn Squash for Thanksgiving and there were a few left over in my fridge so I thought I'd try using them up. This turned out quite yummy and even my squash-suspicious husband enjoyed it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee) or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 plump garlic cloves, smashed and roughly diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions (Vidalia is best)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups pre-roasted acorn squash
- 3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 cup milk
- fresh ground pepper
- cubed gruyere cheese (to garnish)
- 1If you don't have any pre-roasted Thanksgiving leftovers --
- 2Halve and scoop out the innards of 2 medium to large Acorn Squash. Roast them, cut side down in a 400 degree oven for about 45min or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and allow to cool. When cool scoop out flesh and set aside.
- 3Heat the ghee or oil in a deep sauce pan on medium heat. When warm add the onions, 4 cloves of garlic, rosemary, thyme, and salt.
- 4Cook gently until the onions are translucent and just beginning to caramelize(about 8-10 minutes).
- 5At this stage add your scooped out squash and gently mash it with a wooden spoon until it is soft and broken up and entirely incorporated with the onion, garlic and herbs.
- 6Cook this mixture over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until squash is bubbling. Add the other two cloves of garlic, the broth and the milk.
- 7Gently mix all. If it is too thick add a little more milk and adjust seasonings.
- 8Allow this to gently simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- 9Turn off the heat.
- 10Puree approximately half of the soup in a blender until smooth and add back to the pot. Mix thouroughly.
- 11Serve piping hot with little cubes of gruyere scattered over the top.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Acorn Squash Soup With Rosemary and Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.7
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 24.4 mg
- Sodium 1491.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 4.7 g