1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
I wanted to find a recipe that reminded me of a dish I ate a local restaurant once; before I became vegan. Luckily, this version is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml curry powder, to taste
- nutmeg, to taste
- 354.88 ml arborio rice, uncooked (italian style)
- 118.29 ml dry sherry (optional)
- 709.77 ml vegetable broth
- 118.29 ml water, heated
- 118.29 ml pecans, chopped (for garnish)
- parsley (for garnish)
- 1Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Place the acorn squash, cut side down on a well oiled baking sheet.
- 3Bake for about 30 minutes, or until 'fork' tender.
- 4Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes.
- 5Scoop out the roasted squash from the skins and set aside.
- 6In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat, and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- 7Add the curry, spices, and uncooked Arborio rice and stir well, until the rice is coated.
- 8Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 9Combine the water and vegetable broth.
- 10Add the sherry, and 1 cup of the broth, and bring to a boil.
- 11Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently for 7-8 minutes.
- 12When most of the liquid is absorbed, add the remaining cups of broth 1 cup at a time, stirring and simmering until each cup of liquid is absorbed before adding the next one. (The whole process should take about 20-25 minutes.).
- 13When the final cup of liquid is mostly absorbed, add in the roasted squash and mix well.
- 14Continue stirring with a wooden spoon until the rice is creamy, yet still retains some bite.
- 15Add freshly ground pepper, cover and set aside for a few moments before serving.
- 16Garnish with pecans and parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Acorn Squash Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.3
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: