Recipe by hipbonez
I wanted to find a recipe that reminded me of a dish I ate a local restaurant once; before I became vegan. Luckily, this version is.
Top Review by Oliver & Fischer's Mommy
Delicious! Very straight forward and easy to follow recipe with yummy results. I used roasted and cubed sweet dumpling squash and added a little extra curry powder. I also used a low sodium veggie stock so I seasoned pretty well with salt and pepper. Great recipe!
- 1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder, to taste
- nutmeg, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice, uncooked (italian style)
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup water, heated
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (for garnish)
- parsley (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the acorn squash, cut side down on a well oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until 'fork' tender.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes.
- Scoop out the roasted squash from the skins and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat, and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry, spices, and uncooked Arborio rice and stir well, until the rice is coated.
- Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the water and vegetable broth.
- Add the sherry, and 1 cup of the broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently for 7-8 minutes.
- When most of the liquid is absorbed, add the remaining cups of broth 1 cup at a time, stirring and simmering until each cup of liquid is absorbed before adding the next one. (The whole process should take about 20-25 minutes.).
- When the final cup of liquid is mostly absorbed, add in the roasted squash and mix well.
- Continue stirring with a wooden spoon until the rice is creamy, yet still retains some bite.
- Add freshly ground pepper, cover and set aside for a few moments before serving.
- Garnish with pecans and parsley.