Recipe by TammieV
Taken out of "The New Native American Cooking" book in response to a thread.
Top Review by divertingbailey
This was my first time making duck and it was a huge hit with my family. The blackberry sauce is to die for! I'd highly recommend trying this recipe. It was the highlight of our Christmas Eve dinner!
- 4 -5 lbs duck, rinsed patted dry, giblets reserved
- 2 -3 tablespoons walnut oil (only if using a wild duck) or 2 -3 tablespoons bacon, to wrap duck in (only if using a wild duck)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cubed turnip
- 2 cups duck or 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 juniper berries
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup unsweetened purple grape juice or 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon fruited vinegar (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup blackberry preserves or 1⁄4 cup jelly
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blackberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blackberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prick skin all over duck, remove as much fat as possible on the domestic bird.
- Rub wild duck with walnut oil or wrap in bacon.
- Domestic duck is more greasy and does not need oil or bacon.
- Stuff 1/2 the onions and turnip cubes into the cavity.
- Season cavity with salt and pepper.
- Place duck in roasting pan with about 1/2 inch of water on center rack in oven, breast side down.
- turn breast side up after cooked for 20 minutes and bake about 40 minutes longer, til just done.
- While duck is roasting, place giblets and remaining onions and turnips in a small dutch oven or oven proof saucepan and roast in the oven with the duck til well browned, about 20 minutes.
- Remove dutch oven to the stove top.
- Over medium heat, deglaze the dutch oven in the stock, scraping all the bits stuck to the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Add the seasonings, wine and vinegar.
- Continue to cook til liqid is reduced by 1/3, about 20 minutes.
- Add preserves and blackberries.
- Cook another 10 minutes or until the preserves are melted into the liquid and the berries have cooked down and are soft.
- Strain liquid into a clean sauce pan and set aside.
- Discard the solids strained out.
- Remove roasted duck from the oven and let stand tented under aluminum foil for 15 minutes before carving.
- Reheat sauce just before serving.
- Carve duck or quarter, discarding the stuffing and serve hot with sauce poured over top.