1 hr 40 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
Adapted from "The Bistros, Brasseries and Wine Bars of Paris" by Daniel Young. (This recipe is from Thierry Breton of Chez Michel.) If orange cauliflower is not available, white cauliflower can be substituted. Farm markets often have various colors of carrots, but good old orange ones are just fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 (4 -5 lb) roasting chickens, about 4 -5 pounds
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb cauliflower, mixed white and orange
- 1 head garlic
- 5 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 lb baby carrots, mixed colors, scrubbed under running water
- flat leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Put the nuts on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven until browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop the nuts. Set aside.
- 3Raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Clean the chicken inside and out with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- 4Smear the butter under the skin and on the outside of the chicken and season with 2 teaspoons salt and one-eighth teaspoon pepper. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Place the chicken, on its side, in a roasting pan, and cook until the skin begins to crisp, about 20 minutes.
- 5While the chicken is roasting, prepare the vegetables. Wash the cauliflower and separate it into large florets. Separate the garlic cloves from the head and crush them by laying each clove on a flat surface and pressing down on it with the broad side of a large kitchen knife. Remove the peel.
- 6After the chicken has been in the oven the first 20 minutes, distribute the crushed garlic cloves and shallots around the chicken in the pan, top with the cauliflower and carrots, and drizzle with 1 cup cold water. Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees, turn the bird on its other side, and cook, basting the bird and vegetables with the cooking juices two to three times, for 20 minutes more.
- 8Then scatter the hazelnuts over the cauliflower, turn the bird breasst die up, basting every 10 minutes or so, until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and a thigh, about 30-40 minutes more.
- 9Transfer the chicken to a warm serving platter and let stand 10 minutes.
- 10Surround the chicken with vegetables, spoon the cooking juices all over, garnish with parsley if desired, and serve immediately, carving at the table.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Whole Chicken With Cauliflower
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 649.6
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 168.0 mg
- Sodium 219.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 38.2 g