1/2 Photos of Roast Venison
This is an adaptation of recipe in a Southern Living cookbook. I have used for over 30 years, so it has evolved over time. This was the recipe I bought my larding needle for, and now use it occasionally with other recipes. This is a very long recipe, but most of the time is the slow cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 venison roast (leg)
- 4 ounces salt pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup stock
- 1 cup sherry wine (very dry)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chianti wine
- 1/2 cup sherry wine (very dry)
- 1 orange (make 1 tablespoon zest, then slice)
- 1/2 cup black currant jelly
- 1Place salt, pepper, ginger and oregano in small plate.
- 2Cut fat back into strips about 2"x1/4" (to fit easily into larding needle).
- 3Roll fat strips in herb seasoning until well coated. (if you have other things to do, you can freeze these as they are easier to work with cold).
- 4Place strips in larding needle and push through meat.
- 5Rub roast with oil and put in roasting pan.
- 6Pat any remaining seasoning onto roast.
- 7Pour butter over roast.
- 8Mix orange juice, stock, and sherry together and pour over roast.
- 9Bake, covered at 325 degrees for 5 hours.
- 10Baste every 15 - 20 minutes.
- 11Take out of oven and remove meat from pan.
- 12Skim fat from the natural gravy.
- 13Make a smooth paste from some of the fat and the flour, then add the Chianti, sherry, and orange zest.
- 14Stir back into the natural gravy, and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- 15Put roast back into pan, spread 1/4 cup of jelly over roast, cover pan, and continue in oven for another hour, basting as needed.
- 16Remove pan from oven.
- 17Place roast on platter and garnish with remaining jelly over roast, and orange slices around the roast.
- 18Put gravy in boat.
- 19Serve with baked potatoes and a green vegetable.
Browse Our Top Deer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Venison
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 695.3
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 790.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: