Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A hearty and filling soup. I found the idea in a magazine and changed a few things to both make it vegetarian and reduce the overall fat content. For delicious results, serve with sourdough garlic toast.
- Heat oven to 425.
- Toss potatoes, carrots, and fresh corn with 3 T olive oil, allowing the oil to lightly coat the vegetables. (If using frozen roasted corn, do not add in this step.) Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Let cool.
- Trim the leeks and remove the first two layers of tough outer leaves. Cut leeks in half lengthwise and rinse well in a large bowl of water, changing the water as needed until all dirt is removed. Cut leeks crosswise into thin slices.
- If using fresh corn, cut the roasted kernels from the cob and discard cob.
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a 5 quart pot. Add leeks and stir over medium-high heat until wilted.
- Whisk water and flour until smooth; stir into leeks and cook 1-2 minutes until thickened. Add vegetable broth and milk and heat until broth and milk start to simmer. Add the potatoes, carrots, and frozen or fresh roasted corn kernels. Allow to cook for several minutes, until the chowder is thickened and the vegetables are hot. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.