Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A fantastic soup from the Epicurious website.
Make and share this Roast Vegetable and Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 large plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled, quartered (about 8 ounces)
- 6 ounces fresh cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch wedges through root end
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 ounces package dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup pearl barley
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Arrange tomatoes and next 6 ingredients on sheet.
- Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until vegetables are tender and brown around edges, stirring occasionally, about 55 minutes.
- Peel garlic and reserve. Coarsely chop half of vegetables and reserve.
- Transfer garlic and remaining vegetables from sheet to large pot (reserve sheet).
- Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth to baking sheet and scrape up browned bits; add to pot with vegetables.
- Add 7 1/2 cups broth, dried porcini, thyme, and bay leaf to pot.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until vegetables and porcini are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Pour vegetables and broth into large strainer set over bowl. Transfer vegetables in strainer to processor and puree until smooth; set aside.
- Return broth and bay leaf to pot; add barley and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes. Add reserved vegetable puree and chopped vegetables to pot; simmer until soup thickens and flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool soup slightly. Chill soup uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat, thinning with additional broth if desired before serving.)
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.