1 hr 20 mins
Wendys Kitchen's Note:
A fantastic soup from the Epicurious website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 4 large plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled, quartered (about 8 ounces)
- 6 ounces fresh cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch wedges through root end
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 ounces package dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup pearl barley
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F
- 2Spray large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- 3Arrange tomatoes and next 6 ingredients on sheet.
- 4Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 5Roast until vegetables are tender and brown around edges, stirring occasionally, about 55 minutes.
- 6Peel garlic and reserve. Coarsely chop half of vegetables and reserve.
- 7Transfer garlic and remaining vegetables from sheet to large pot (reserve sheet).
- 8Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth to baking sheet and scrape up browned bits; add to pot with vegetables.
- 9Add 7 1/2 cups broth, dried porcini, thyme, and bay leaf to pot.
- 10Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until vegetables and porcini are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- 11Pour vegetables and broth into large strainer set over bowl. Transfer vegetables in strainer to processor and puree until smooth; set aside.
- 12Return broth and bay leaf to pot; add barley and bring to boil.
- 13Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes. Add reserved vegetable puree and chopped vegetables to pot; simmer until soup thickens and flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
- 14Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool soup slightly. Chill soup uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat, thinning with additional broth if desired before serving.)
- 15Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Vegetable and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.1
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 50.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
canned vegetable broth
fresh thyme sprigs