1/1 Photo of Roast Veal With Red Wine Mushroom Sauce
Smurfetta Chef #427781's Note:
Veal is a favorite of mine but, if you don't care for it then beef will be fine. Fennel makes a nice compliment to this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs veal roast
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 4 cups mushrooms, Washed And Sliced (I used Baby Portabella Mushrooms)
- 2 garlic cloves, Minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup veal or 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened and Divided into Two Parts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1Season the veal with salt, pepper, rosemary anf thyme. In a heavy, large saucepan, heat the olive oil, and then brown the roast well on all sides.
- 2Remove to a plate while you cook the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms, and 2 tablespoons of butter, and cook until they are softened and beginning to brown.
- 3Add the veal stock and red wine to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and return the roast to the pot. Partially cover with a lid, and cook on low for about 20 to 25 minutes for medium rare. Remove the veal to a warm plate, and cover with foil while you prepare the sauce.
- 4Bring the mushroom broth mixture to a boil, and reduce by half. Add the last two tablespoons of butter mixd with the flour, stirring until thickened. Taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- 5Add the fresh parsley and mix well.
- 6Slice the veal and serve topped with some of the mushroom wine sauce.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Veal With Red Wine Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.0
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 263.1 mg
- Sodium 323.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 57.7 g