This recipe was posted in reply to a message board request. It is from the "Choice Common Markets" cookbook, West Germany section (1973). This is a wonderful dish, and appeals even to those who are not fond of "German food". *Cooking time depends on the weight of the veal. I posted it as "25 minutes" (meaning about 25 minutes per pound of veal), because Zaar wouldn't let the post go through without a specific "cooking time".
My Private Note
Leg of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time.
- 2Allow 25 minutes per pound plus an extra 25 minutes if the meat is on the bone; 30 minutes per pound plus 30 extra minutes if the joint is boned and rolled.
- 3Season veal well with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- 4Fry (brown) the meat briskly in butter.
- 5Place the meat in a roasting pan, add a little water (about 1/2 cup) together with the onion and roast in a hot oven (425°F, 220°C, GM 7) for the required time.
- 6When the meat is cooked, remove from the pan and keep warm.
- 7Blend cornflour (corn starch) with a little water and add to the meat juices in the pan along with the sour cream.
- 8Serve the meat whole or sliced with the sauce poured over it.
- 9This roast is frequently served with fried mushrooms as a side dish.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Veal with Cream Sauce (Kalbsbraten mit Sahnesosse)
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 681.3
- Calories from Fat 620
- Total Fat 68.8 g
- Saturated Fat 42.4 g
- Cholesterol 181.7 mg
- Sodium 502.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boned legs of veal