Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was posted in reply to a message board request. It is from the "Choice Common Markets" cookbook, West Germany section (1973). This is a wonderful dish, and appeals even to those who are not fond of "German food". *Cooking time depends on the weight of the veal. I posted it as "25 minutes" (meaning about 25 minutes per pound of veal), because Zaar wouldn't let the post go through without a specific "cooking time".
- Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time.
- Allow 25 minutes per pound plus an extra 25 minutes if the meat is on the bone; 30 minutes per pound plus 30 extra minutes if the joint is boned and rolled.
- Season veal well with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Fry (brown) the meat briskly in butter.
- Place the meat in a roasting pan, add a little water (about 1/2 cup) together with the onion and roast in a hot oven (425°F, 220°C, GM 7) for the required time.
- When the meat is cooked, remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Blend cornflour (corn starch) with a little water and add to the meat juices in the pan along with the sour cream.
- Serve the meat whole or sliced with the sauce poured over it.
- This roast is frequently served with fried mushrooms as a side dish.
DH and I really liked this recipe. Easy to make and the sauce was tasty and went well over the meat and also with the mashed potatoes. We didn't make the fried mushrooms as a side dish however, since I'm not partial to them. Good recipe Dee, and will be making again.