Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Every Thanksgiving for many years, we've experimented making different turkey recipes. This is one that the whole family enjoyed. Begin preparing the turkey a day ahead as it needs to soak overnight in brine, which makes the roasted bird exceptionally juicy. From Bon Appetit, May 2004.
- 7 quarts water
- 1 cup salt
- 17 lbs turkey, neck, heart and gizzard reserved for Giblet Stock
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup red currant jelly
- 4 teaspoons fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 cup shallot, sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, low sodium
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup ruby port
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- Make turkey:.
- Combine water and salt in large stockpot; stir to dissolve salt.
- Rinse turkey inside and out.
- Add turkey to brine.
- Cover pot; refrigerate overnight.
- Stir butter and jelly in small sauce-pan over medium heat until melted.
- Mix in marjoram, orange peel and lemon peel.
- Freeze mixture until semi-firm, whisking occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°F
- Drain turkey; pat dry inside and out.
- Sprinkle shallots in roasting pan.
- Place turkey atop shallots.
- Starting at neck end, slide hand between skin and breast meat to loosen skin.
- Spread 1/2 cup chilled jelly mixture over breast meat under skin and over outside of turkey (reserve remaining jelly mixture for gravy and glaze).
- If stuffing turkey, spoon stuffing loosely into neck and main cavities.
- Tuck wing tips under turkey; tie legs together to hold shape.
- Roast turkey 45 minutes, adding some broth to pan if drippings threaten to burn.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F
- Cover turkey loosely with foil.
- Roast until thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180°F, adding more broth to pan if necessary to keep drippings from burning and basting turkey occasionally with drippings, about 3 hours longer if unstuffed or 3 1/2 hours longer if stuffed.
- If necessary, uncover turkey during last 20 minutes to brown skin.
- Transfer turkey to platter.
- Tent with foil; let stand 30 minutes.
- Re-serve mixture in pan for gravy.
- Make gravy:.
- Strain pan juices into large measuring cup; spoon off fat.
- Add Giblet Stock; if necessary, add enough broth to measure 4 cups.
- Transfer mixture to large saucepan; bring to boil.
- Stir 4 tablespoons reserved jelly mixture and flour in bowl to form paste.
- Whisk paste into stock mixture.
- Add Port and citrus juices; boil until reduced enough to coat spoon thickly, about 12 minutes.
- Mix in orange peel.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush warm turkey with enough remaining jelly mixture to glaze.