5 hrs 45 mins
Hazelnuts and prosciutto are combined in a seasoned butter that coats the turkey as it roasts and also flavors the gravy. My guests have given this turkey rave reviews. You can make the Prosciutto butter and gravy base 1 day ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (3 sticks)
- 6 tablespoons hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- turkey giblets, neck, heart, and gizzard reserved from 16- to 19-pound turkey
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 large fresh thyme sprig
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1FOR PROSCIUTTO BUTTER:.
- 2Place butter in large bowl.
- 3Mix in hazelnuts, vinegar, thyme, crushed pepper, garlic, and salt.
- 4Mix in prosciutto and green onions.
- 5FOR GRAVY BASE:.
- 6Melt 2 tablespoons prosciutto butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 7Add neck, heart, gizzard, shallots, and bay leaf; sauté until brown, about 20 minutes.
- 8Add wine, thyme, and rosemary; boil until liquid is reduced almost to glaze, about 3 minutes.
- 9Add 4 cups broth; bring to boil.
- 10Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until giblets and neck are tender, about 1 hour.
- 11Discard bay leaf and thyme sprig.
- 12Transfer neck and giblets to work surface.
- 13Chop enough giblets to measure 1 cup.
- 14Remove meat from neck and chop.
- 15Combine neck meat and chopped giblets in bowl with broth from pot.
- 16(Prosciutto butter and gravy base can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill butter; bring to room temperature before using. Chill gravy base until cold, then cover and keep chilled.)
- 17FOR TURKEY:.
- 18Set rack at lowest position in oven and preheat to 325°F
- 19Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry.
- 20Starting at neck end, slide hand between skin and breast, thigh, and leg meat to loosen skin.
- 21Set aside 1/4 cup prosciutto butter for gravy.
- 22Spread 1 cup prosciutto butter over turkey meat under skin.
- 23Spread 1 cup prosciutto butter over outside of turkey.
- 24Sprinkle turkey inside and out with salt and pepper; place on rack set in large roasting pan.
- 25Place onion and next 4 ingredients in main turkey cavity.
- 26Tuck wing tips under; tie legs together loosely.
- 27Roast turkey uncovered 1 1/2 hours.
- 28Tent turkey with foil; add 2 cups broth to pan.
- 29Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, occasionally basting with pan drippings and adding more broth to pan, about 2 hours longer.
- 30Transfer to platter; tent with foil.
- 31Let stand 30 minutes (internal temperature will increase 5 to 10 degrees).
- 32Strain pan juices into 8-cup measuring cup; spoon fat off top.
- 33Add reserved gravy base.
- 34Add enough chicken broth to mixture to measure 5 cups total.
- 35Melt reserved 1/4 cup prosciutto butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 36Add flour; whisk 1 minute.
- 37Gradually add pan-juice mixture, whisking constantly.
- 38Boil, whisking frequently, until gravy is very slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 39Season with salt and pepper.
- 40Serve turkey with gravy.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Turkey With Prosciutto-Hazelnut Crust
Serving Size: 1 (781 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1135.4
- Calories from Fat 619
- Total Fat 68.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 418.4 mg
- Sodium 546.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 112.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar
fresh thyme sprigs
fresh thyme sprigs